League Meet breakdown for the 2023-24 Bible Quiz season.
|League Meet 1||Romans 1-7
|League Meet 2||Romans 8-11
|League Meet 3||Romans 12-16
|League Meet 4||James 1-5
|TOTAL||540 verses||391 verses||147 verses|
Note: No Romans 16:24 in NLT
Championship League was formerly called A League; Contender League was formerly called Middle School Quiz (MSQ)
For the Championship and Contender divisions at League Meets 2-4, five questions each set will be from material at previous League Meets.
Some districts will have a League Meet 5 (“League Final”), which will cover all material from League Meets 1-4 evenly.
WRITER’S TIPS & BREAKDOWN
Championship written by Jesse Czubkowski
- Generally, questions will be easy to interrupt except Statement and Questions or Scripture-text Questions. Pay attention to what the introductory remarks say as well as what they do not say.
- Knowing unique words, chapter analysis, conditional “if” statements, “let us” commands, and “do not“ commands will be valuable for teams.
- Application Questions will be used for Leagues 1 – 4 only
- Locators will shift from section titles to chapters as we approach Regionals/Nationals
- The difficulty will be similar for all levels. (League Meet 1 and National Finals are identical in difficulty.) - All answers will come from a single verse and will usually require 7 words or less
League Meet 1-4
- 20s: These questions will typically be 8 words or more and will come from a single verse. I will emphasize an understanding of fundamental knowledge at this level. (Giving verses in essence, chapter analysis, references, and knowledge of unique words are paramount at this stage)
- 30s: These questions will require answers almost always from a single verse, but answers will be longer than 20-point questions. It will be important to know how to quote by verse reference, know all section titles and verse references, as well as understand some basic cross-referencing from withing the same chapter.
League Meet 5/League Finals
- 20s/30s The difficulty will remain the same as League Meet 1-4, but cover all material cumulatively.
- 20s: Question difficulty will increase slightly, with many questions coming from 2 verses. Chapter analysis will be used in greater capacity and basic concordance-type questions will be introduced.
- 30s: Question difficulty will increase significantly, with questions coming from 3 verses on average. Chapter analysis will be used in greater capacity and basic concordance that cross references different chapter and books (i.e. from both Romans and James) will be introduced.
- 20s: Mastery of the material will be highly advantageous. Questions will cover 1 – 3 verses, and concordance questions appearing with greater frequency,
- 30s: Mastery of the material will be highly advantageous. Questions will cover 3 – 4 verses, with the introduction of chapter analysis by book and concordance-type questions increasing in difficulty.
- 20s: Mastery of the material will be required. Questions will typically cover 1 – 4 verses, along with knowing chapter analysis, references, and unique words over all the material. Concordance-type questions will be asked frequently.
- 30s: Mastery of the material will be required. Questions will typically cover 4 – 7 verses, along with knowing chapter analysis, references and unique words over all the material. Concordance-type questions will be asked frequently.
Contender/XP5 written by Micah Van Gorp
I favor questions that will help you understand the text being studied. In my questions, I rely on the wording from the Scripture rather than use my own. There will be a few cases where the Scripture would make the question too wordy or complicated so I do use my own. However, when in doubt use the Scripture to finish interrupted questions.
I attempt to use all the varieties of question and answer types. I like lists and multi-part answers.
My Statement and questions are focused on understanding Scriptural truths, thus they will be difficult to interrupt until after the statement is complete. The Contender Study and Practice questions will show a sampling of all the types of questions you will see throughout the quiz season.
By Point Value
10-point questions will be no longer than three words throughout the entire season (articles don’t count ie. the Lord Jesus Christ.) This is not a contestable standard but is the pattern I am using.
Early in the season expect the 20 point questions that are not from the Study Questions to be small segments of verses, and growing in length as the season progresses.
30 point questions will be longer sections of verses or the entire verse depending on verse length for league meets, getting longer with League 5/League Finals, District Finals, and Regional Finals. The last few sets of the Practice Questions will show samplings of the harder questions that will appear in these later meets.
The first 12 questions will be matched so that the same point value is read to both teams. Of the first 12 questions 10 will be from the Contender Study Questions.
Question number 13 will be a 30 that will either be an application question or harder 30 point question.
There will be a total of two application questions between questions 13 and 18. They will only come from the chapters being studied for this league meet.
There will be no review questions from previous material.
Questions will come in no particular order and I like to mix up where point values appear.
League meets 2-4 will have 75% of the new material with 25% review from previous material.
Application questions will appear in questions 11-20. They will come only from the new material for the league meet.
League 1 will have 10 questions from the Contender Study Questions in each round. Leagues 2-4 will have 5 in each round.